Thursday, September 1, 2011

Charity Quilt Finish

Today I'm linking up with the small blog meet at Lily's Quilts.  What a nice idea to have a link party for small blogs.  I like it.

Well, it's definitely a Fresh Sewing Day for me as well.   I was finishing up the quilting on this little quilt by six this morning.  Guild meeting is tonight and I'd really like to turn this in as I've had the kit for months.  Just a simple little block quilt.  Here it is:





As usual, my favorite part of the process was the quilting.  I did daisies and loops in red thread which matched the red print backing.  My first thread choice was purple but no matter how much I adjusted the tension little dots of purple showed through on the back so I gave up & switched to red.  Here is a close up of the quilting.

























I like how the red shows up against the purple and green.  One thing I learned quilting this was that different fabrics affect the quality of your quilting.  On some of the fabric squares my stitches look pretty even and the quilting went smoothly.  On others, not so much.  The closer the weave or higher the thread count, the better the quilting looked.  Another reason to use the best quality fabric you can, I suppose.

So, that's my contribution for today.  Now that it's done maybe I can move on to something a little more exciting.  Delicious new fabric arrived in the mail yesterday and I have so many projects I want to start that it's mentally paralyzing! 

What a lovely day it's been so far.  Starting off with a quilt finish is always nice.  That little number is in the wash right now with a couple of color catchers.  Plus, I have sourdough bread rising and I'm getting ready for my watercolor class in a couple of hours.  Hope all of you have lovely, productive days.  But first, go over to Lily's Quilts and check out all the other entries.  Many thanks to Lily's Quilts for hosting!




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daisies are so perfect! I'm so in awe. I tried a similar quilting design and it was just a hot mess.. Yours is beautiful!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Hi Jane! :) Thanks for coming by my blog. I'm going to follow you too. I love your daisy quilting design, and your hexie flowers.. and your dog pics! :) Look forward to more posts.
xo
Kelli

Rebecca Lynne said...

Hey Jane!

Returning the Small Blog Visit. I love the title of your blog...although looking at the closeup of those daisies...well shoot...it doesn't suit you at all. That quilting look amazing! I can't wait to see more of it while I am following you...

Rebecca Lynne

Toni said...

I hope I have that kind of quilting skill someday! Looks amazing! So glad to have found your blog!

Maria said...

That's a pretty quilt and I do like the quilting. I've come here from Lily's and look forward to following your bog.

Nicole @ Patchwork Duck Designs said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Wow, your quilting is amazing! I've gotten pretty good at stippling, but I have yet to try flowers. :)

Sandra Kaye said...

Hey, Jane-- Just joined your blog. Love your work. Came over from Lily's. Hugs Sandie

Sana Saroti said...

Hey Jane, I found you through the SBM. You were very modest choosing your blog name! To me everything I see looks perfect! I will follow and cant wait to see more of those "imperfections" ;-)

randi--i have to say said...

so cute! i love the bright colors on this quilt and the daisies are just perfect. :)

Debbie said...

so envious of your mad quilting skills! beautiful!!

Stephanie said...

I love your daisies!! Oh, what a great job quilting!