Friday, July 19, 2013

Night Storm - A Guy Quilt Finish



A guy quilt, possibly for one of my stepsons who seems to appreciate handmade.  The pattern is Night Storm by Jean Ann Wright taken directly from the Marcus website using the exact same fabrics by Laura Berringer. Obviously, there isn't an original bone in my body.  Here is the back.

Why didn't I place that strip off center or at least more off center than it is by accident?

I had a dreadful time quiting this on my new machine, complete with thread breakage, eyelashing and tension problems galore.  I finally finished it on my old Kenmore with the six inch throat.   No eyelashes, no thread breakage no little thread dots on the back.  Go figure.

That  being said, there are two good takeaways from this quilt experience. I basted it with Elmer's Washable School Glue.  No pins or fumes and the layers held together great despite all the manhandling involved in getting the thing quilted.  For more info on glue basting check out the Quilting Board.  If you aren't familiar with this site do give it a look.  It's a wealth of information and quilting encouragement.

Next the binding.



See how nice and sharp my corners are?  Okay, I guess binding should be the same width front and back, but one thing at a time.  I used Sharon Schamber's glue basting method and it was so easy;  fiddly and time consuming, but neat and precise with no pins or clips to get in the way. 

I'm going to link to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finish it up Friday and go finish burying the billions and billions of threads caused by all my stopping, starting and thread breaking. 




6 comments:

Diane E W said...

Love it.

Diane E W said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

I love the complexity of the quilt top. There is so much to look at. It is scraptastic.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is gorgeous!!! The elmers glue sounds very interesting. I know some use it for binding too - and it helps keep things in place. Great job!!!

Sarah Craig said...

What a great men's quilt! Whoop whoop!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I think you have done a fantastic job! And don't worry about following the original...at least you know you are getting something you like!