At last, a day with sunlight so I can get a picture of Celtic Solstice. Here's the front.
I think the triangle in a square border is great, even though I had to do quite a bit of creative piecing to get it to fit! I'm getting more confident using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers and look forward to making more blocks with them.
The backing is pieced from leftover fabrics and extra blocks. At this point I was just wanting to get rid of some fabrics!
The on-point blocks bordered in yellow were pieced with the cut off half square triangles from making the chevron units.
I basted this quilt with a home-made basting spray I read about on someone's blog and it worked perfectly! For quilting, I used a pale green Aurifil thread in a free-hand swirly design. My free-motion quilting always comes out too dense, making for a thread heavy quilt that's hard to maneuver in the machine. It also makes my swirls less than perfect. This quilt washed up fine and doesn't seem overly heavy to use though. Oh! Now I see I also quilted a hair into the swirls. Oops! Unfortunately, it's already boxed up and shipped to it's new owner. I don't think he'll notice.
I failed to get a close-up of the binding but it's made from old shirts in various small blue checks. It was supposed to be the binding on a blue and white quilt I made a couple of years ago but I couldn't find it when I needed it. I thought it was just fine for this project and I was happy not to have to piece a binding. I was ready to get this quilt over!
I'll be linking up with Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Link-up Finale and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.